Springing into Allergy Season - Part 4

by Drs. Gurney & Marina Pearsall 25. April 2014 08:33

drs. g. and m. pearsall

How are allergies treated?

Our physicians use a treatment called Sublingual Immunotherapy, or SLIT.  Simply put, it is fighting fire with fire. We give a sublingual dose of the offending substance, causing a buildup of IgG, an antibody that blocks the allergy reaction. This is known as an Immune Modulating treatment, because it desensitizes the patient to the offending allergens.  It generally takes three years for an immunization treatment to build up enough antibodies. Some patients may see their symptoms return as soon as they stop the allergy drops, since this treatment does not change the patient’s genetic makeup, most will not. 

Many airborne pollens are closely related to food items due to cross-reactivity, therefore SLIT targets both airborne and food allergies.

When we compare SLIT to traditional allergy treatments we find that: SLIT includes all 98 known allergens, SLIT is painless, SLIT saves you about $180 per year, compared to mainstream injections, SLIT is done at home; no doctor’s appointments needed, SLIT delivers results in 2-3 months; traditional injections, 6 months to 2 years and SLIT sidesteps adverse reactions to shots, such as swelling, itching, hay fever, etc.

Tags: ,

Age No More

Comments (2) -

send voice sms
send voice sms
4/26/2015 8:40:02 AM #


One must take care of his health...

Thanks for tips Dr. Gurney.

What to Invest In
What to Invest In
5/7/2015 11:29:19 PM #

Never realized how the pollens could be related to foods though after you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Comments are closed

Copyright © 2004-2021 YourCity.MD LLC All Rights Reserved. The information on this Website is provided as a courtesy of YourCity.MD. This Website is designed as a resource portal for informational purposes only and does not contain any warranties. Reliance on any information found on or through this Website or links found on this Website is entirely at your own risk. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call 911 or your local Emergency number immediately. YourCity.MD and its affiliates are not responsible for the content found on any links contained herein and do not necessarily agree with any of their opinions. - View Full Terms & Conditions